Agility Alliance |
Advice for Business
the links below to learn about documenting and managing
business rules, and about designing and architecting rulebases. These topics are for subject matter experts
(SMEs), business rule analysts, rule harvesters,
rulebase architects, and knowledge engineers.
"An exciting new
technology called Business Rules is
beginning to have a major positive impact on
the IT industry - more precisely, on the way
we develop and maintain computer
C.J. Date, inventor of
the relational database model that
revolutionized the field of computer science
What questions do we ask Domain Experts to extract their
Below are some questions
that we like to ask experts during Knowledge Acquisition
(KA) interviews in order to extract their
critical knowledge and
Knowledge Preservation Questions:
Ask these questions to get the big picture quickly,
and to understand the impact of losing tacit
knowledge, expert knowledge, and critical knowledge:
Initial survey of processes, roles, and tasks:
- What do you need to do? (what)
- Inputs / Outputs / Outcomes
- Why do you do it that way?
- How do you reach conclusions?
- What do you need to know? (why)
- Laws / Regulations (external)
- Policies and Procedures (internal)
- What information do you need to look-up?
- What do you need to record? (what / where /
- Forms / Fields
- Memos / Emails
- How do you need to do it? (how)
- Which tasks are manual vs. automated
- Who do you need to talk to? (who)
- Who do you call for more information or
- Who calls you for information or
- When do you need to do things? (when)
- Events (i.e. notify the policyholder 30
days before cancellation)
- Where do you need to do the work/have to go?
These are just a few of the
questions we ask experts during our Knowledge Acquisition
and Rule DefinitionSM
Workshop is one
of the steps in the
knowledge acquisition and business rules methodology.
or call 972-987-1685 for more information about
knowledge acquisition and what questions to ask
Need to Prevent Brain Drain and Retain Knowledge?
Join our mailing list and signup for free
BIZRULES ADVISOR newsletter